22RE turbo goals
Why build a turbo 22RE motor?*
- Everything fits. No driveline adaptations. Bolt it in.
- Reliablity. The 22R series is a proven motor capable of well over 200k miles.
- Availablity. Parts for the 22R series are very available which helps keep their cost down.
- Efficiency. A 22R is capable of 20+mpg on the highway when installed on a 4x4 vehicle.
- Bragging rights. How many 200+ hp motors are there out there?
- Community support. The main problem with getting power out of the 22R series is that the ECU simply doesn't adapt to changes that result in significant hp gains. One of my goals was to provide a basis for a reasonable cost alternative to the stock ECU.
*Special thanks to Jeff Moskovitz
for his advice and influence in putting together this motor.
Goals of my motor build:
- Reliable. No fuss.
- Reasonable power. I want a 4runner that can get out of it's own way. 200 HP at the back wheels, minimum.
- MPG. Target 16-17 in town, 20-22 on the highway.
- Variable power output - be able to run or 87-93 octane and vary boost level.
- Saftey factors - implement timing control and a knock sensor so I can't do anything dumb.